Warhol’s Portrait of Power
- Takashi Murakami: The Octopus Eats Its Own Leg–
- Short A red, white, and silver cartoon mouse character is positioned diagonally so that its round head, bulbous ears, smiling grin and large friendly eyes fill the square canvas.
- Short A painting of a head of a red and white cartoon mouse with a wide grin and big sparkly eyes.
- MCA Talk:
Michael Darling on Takashi Murakami–TalksFree With Admission
- Short A light-skinned man wearing a blue suit jacket, white shirt, and a blue-and-white checkered tie looks directly at the viewer.
- Long A mid-body shot of MCA Chief Curator Michael Darling. He stands, posed at a slight angle, and stares directly at the camera. He wears a white dress shirt, a blue and white checkered tie, and a textured, blue suit jacket.
- MCA Talk:
- Short A horizontal expanse of abraded blues, purples, and beige, across which a stylized white stream meanders. A red, white and blue bulbous creature wtih jagged white teeth and resembling Mickey Mouse appears to ride the currents of the stream.
- Quotable Artist: Takashi MurakamiThanks to the internet and the proliferation of social media, the gap between artists and audiences is closing. The mystery of what artists think, especially in regards to their artwork,…
- Short A brightly colored landscape with a giant multi-colored humunculous sitting on top of a hill, its open mouth revealing jagged teeth, seeping fluids while pustules explode from other parts of its ovoid head.
- Long A bulbous cartoon creature fills the saturated blue background of this wide rectangular painting full of bright, ecstatic colors. It is surrounded by dozens of smaller cartoon figures. Topped by two circular, multicolored ears, the figure has large, drooping eyes and a wide mouth—nearly as wide as its head—that opens in a menacing grin, revealing jagged rows of sharp black teeth. Covered with blotches of white and muted greens, oranges, pinks, and reds, its body blends in with a similarly colored hill below it. Two small feet with overgrown nails and a tiny pair of testicles and penis, however, differentiate the two forms. A thick, multicolored goo oozes from the corners of the creature’s mouth, and the globs of orange, brown, red, cream, and blue coalesce on the land below. With long white arms, one of which holds a staff topped by colorful skulls, the looming figure appears to preside over small creatures taking part in grotesque, brightly colored scenes, including a few critters on the far left, who purge variegated sludge; another who chomps down on a multicolored phallus out of which an even smaller figure emerges; and one on the right with squinting, watering eyes who opens its teeth-filled mouth to ingest a grub-like form with protruding spikes. The painting evokes a jubilant sense of chaos. The bottom edge of the canvas is lined with low rolling hills sparsely dotted with various two-dimensional daisies sporting big red smiles. A few clusters of fluffy white clouds in the background come in contact with two thick green lines that are visible between the hills, giving the impression of a horizon line. Though the relative size of the hills and the horizon line would suggest a great distance between them, the landscape appears foreshortened.