Special topic: THE 21ST CENTURY LEARNING ENVIRONMENT: FRESH IDEAS, NEW CONTEXTS
- Special tour: Take part in a teachers-only tour of the MCA’s latest exhibition, Buckminster Fuller: Starting with the Universe.
- Educator Salon: Hear from designers and architects about how innovative learning environments can serve as a catalyst for community change; discuss this important and timely topic with colleagues.
The Educators’ Day at the MCA takes inspiration from Buckminster Fuller whose theories and innovations had a tremendous impact on the visual arts and architecture; and inspired discussions of global issues including environmentalism, housing, and communication. Educators will take part in discussion sessions exploring the ideal learning environment. Several inquiry questions will guide us:
- What role should educators play in shaping an environment in which authentic learning occurs?
- What does a model learning community look like?
- How can teachers help young people assume a stewardship role over their own environments?
Teachers, student teachers, and teaching artists are invited to participate in lively discourse as we consider these questions. The Educator Salon is intended to be an intimate gathering with the goal of creating a supportive professional learning community to explore and share ideas.
Teachers-only tour of Buckminster Fuller: Starting with the Universe.
Salon presentation: Leading designers and architects discuss how innovative educational spaces encourage student inquiry and imagination.
Salon discussion: Share ideas with colleagues about how educators can shape environments that inspire children to learn.
Participants receive a complimentary copy of The Third Teacher: 79 Ways You Can Use Design to Transform Teaching and Learning, the latest book project by Bruce Mau Design, OWP/P Architects, and VS International.
Cost: Free for Illinois educators. Participating teachers receive CPDUs. Light refreshments provided.
Space is limited; pre-registration is required. Email email@example.com or call 312-397-3838. Vouchers for free parking in the MCA garage will be provided pending availability.
About the Presenters
Story Bellows is director of research at OWP/P, a national architecture, interior design, engineering and consulting firm.
Martin Felsen is founding principal of UrbanLab, an award-winning Chicago-based design firm specializing in resourceful civic, commercial, residential, and infrastructure projects. He is also an associate studio professor in the College of Architecture at the Illinois Institute of Technology.
Trung Le is the design director for the Education Group of OWP/P, a 300-person integrated architecture, interior design, engineering, and consulting services firm.